Sunday, 4 August 2013

Civic amenities in Metro Cities-Kolkata


Time is 9:30 AM.Place downtown Kolkata's busy thoroughfare,M G Road connecting Howrah Station and Sealdah Station.This is a major artery of the city.One can see people pissing on the road during a traffic signal at C R Avenue crossing on a week day.In full view of public.Is this civic?

Question is what is the Govt doing?Are not there not  enough public Urinals at convenient location?No,there are not is the sad fact.Same experience I had another day when I was travelling back from Office.Taxi driver started complaining the moment I boarded about his uneasiness and the fact that there is no Urinal on the route I am supposed to take to Salt Lake. However,he was a rather loquacious fellow and that state did hardly deter his speech. We had to take a detour in order to accommodate him.

Looking to the population and floating population that we have in the city,Policing the issue is hardly a solution.Neither does the administration has that much manpower nor does it make any sense to goad your citizens the way Britishers used to treat which is already the case with our Police and we shall be only worse off to allow one more arsenal to their credit.

Only solution of course lies in making more amenities and allow people to use it a at a low cost.Will the Govt come out of its slumber??




No comments:

Post a Comment